What is Reinstatement?
If you previously held a Mississippi nursing license and your license is now lapsed, you must apply for and have your license reinstated before returning to work as a nurse in this state.
This application should be used to reinstate an Expired Mississippi RN or LPN license. The license period is for two years based upon the renewal cycle of the license. Renewal begins September 1 through December of each year. LPN renewal is every ODD numbered year and RN renewal is every EVEN numbered year.
ONLINE APPLICATION Submit the online Reinstatement Application and CBC
FEES RN/LPN $100.00
Electronic payment via CBC $75.00
Credit or debit card Inactive License $25.00
ENHANCE NURSE LICENSURE COMPACT
- Your Primary State of Residence (PSOR) is the state of your declared fixed primary and principal home for legal purposes; domicile. If Mississippi is your primary state of residence and you meet the Uniform Licensure Requirements you will be issued a multistate license. If you do not meet the ULRs and/or Mississippi is not your PSOR you may be issued a single-state license giving privilege to practice in Mississippi only.
- If you hold a compact license from another state and have moved to Mississippi, you may continue to practice on you compact license for up to 30 days while your Reinstatement process is under review.
Social Security Number You must have a valid social security number to complete your online application.
*Please do not submit any supporting documentation prior to completing the online application and submitting payment*
Mississippi Residents: If Mississippi is your legal primary state of residence, you MUST CALL the Board of Nursing to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted upon completion of your online application and payment of CBC application @ 601-957-6300
Out of State Residents: If your legal primary state of residence is NOT Mississippi, a MSBN fingerprint card and instructions will be mailed to you upon completion of your online application and payment of CBC application.
To change licensure from inactive status to active status is $75.00. Submit evidence of continuing basic nursing competencies if you have not practiced nursing as a Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse within five (5) year period immediately prior to this application.
To check the status of your application login to your profile. Click here to login (takes them to gateway login page)
If you have not practiced nursing in the last five (5) years or more, evidence of continuing basic nursing competencies may include one (1) of the following:
1. Successful completion of a Board-approved Reorientation/Refresher Program for RNs or LPNs within the five year period immediately prior to such application for renewal or reinstatement of the nursing license. The Board may issue a temporary permit to the nurse during the time enrolled in the Reorientation/Refresher Program.
Hinds Community College
Reorientation to Nursing Course
Contact Kimberly Neely (601) 376-4958 or Email: email@example.com
2. Completion of twenty (20) hours of continuing education, directly related to nursing practice, within the two (2) year period immediately prior to such application for renewal or reinstatement of the nursing license. Acceptable continuing education offerings are those which are currently approved, accredited, provided, or offered by a recognized credentialing agency.
www.ncsbn.org University of Mississippi Medical Center CEU (601) 984-1300
A search may also be conducted on the internet for more offerings; however, courses found independently must be approved by the American Nurses Credential Center (ANCC), and must be reviewed by the Board for acceptance.
3. Successful completion of a minimum of three (3) semester hours of nursing credit offered by a nursing education program within the two (2) year period immediately prior to such application for renewal or reinstatement of the nursing license. An acceptable nursing program is one approved or accredited by the appropriate agency within the state. Enrollment arrangements will need to be made by applicants, not the board of Nursing.
Documentation of one (1) of the above options must be submitted with the application for licensure if you have not practiced nursing in the last five (5) years or more.
Appearance on this page represents neither recommendation nor endorsement by the Mississippi Board of Nursing. The above list of courses is being provided as a service.
License Wallet Cards will not be issued. To view licensure status and verification access visit www.msbn.ms.gov. Online License Verification
Criminal Background Check (CBC)
Miss Code Ann. Section § 73-15-19 (1) and 73-15-21 (1) authorizes the Mississippi Board of Nursing (MSBN) to undergo a fingerprint-based criminal background history check of the Mississippi central criminal data base and the Federal Bureau of Investigations criminal history data base on all applicants for licensure. Please follow the instructions below to complete the criminal background check process
1. Complete and submit an online application before registering for a Criminal Background Check (CBC). After submitting online application, you will see a CBC button just above your list of licenses. If the button is RED, click it to submit your CBC/fingerprint registration.
2. CBC Registration - Complete the online CBC registration using the exact name as used on the licensure application. If an applicant name has changed from the name on their photo identification, you must present the necessary legal documents (i.e., marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other legal name change document) as proof at the time of fingerprinting.
3. Fee – Submit the $75.00 fee, including processing fee, at the time of completion of the online CBC form by using a credit or debit card bearing the Visa, Discover, American Express or MasterCard logo, or electronica check. Fees are non-refundable.
4. Mississippi Residents will need to call the Board (601) 957-6300 to schedule a fingerprint appointment. If you live in another state a fingerprint card and instructions will be mailed to you upon payment of required fee.
5. If you answered yes to any of the discipline questions, please allow additional time for the CBC process to be completed because of additional follow-up by board staff.